About the Regiment
Schedule of Events
> History of the Old Corps
Directions to a Drill
Songs of Empire
Links to Other Sites
The Royal Anglian Regiment
In 1685, James II was compelled to add
new regiments of horse and foot to those already in being, to
deal with Monmouths rebellion. Under the date of 20 June
1685, a commission was issued to Major General John Granville,
Earl of Bath, for the raising of eleven companies of foot, each
containing 100 private men. These companies, added
to the independent company of infantry in the Plymouth garrison,
constituted a regiment, of which the Earl of Bath was appointed
Colonel, and which became known as the Earl of Bath's Regiment
The men for the new regiment were raised in the counties of Derby
and Nottingham. The first uniform was a single-breasted, long
skirted blue coat lined with red, with red waistcoat, breeches
The Regiment did not take part in the Seven Years War and during this time was stationed in Gibraltar and Ireland, the former a 19 year tour of duty. The practice of calling Regiments of Foot by the names of their Colonels ceased in 1751 and numbers were allotted, the Earl of Bath's Regiment became the 10th Foot. On 14 January 1763 King George III conferred the colonelcy on Major General Edward Sandford from the 26th Foot who stayed in England all during the War of American Independance.
The Regiment sailed from Cork Haven, Ireland on 3 June 1767 to North America arriving at Port Levi in August. The 10th Foot under the command of Lieut Col Francis Smith garrisoned the Great Lakes forts until 8 October 1774 when they embarked for Boston arriving on 3 November. The battalion was encamped on Boston Common during the summer months, the officers being quartered in the town of Boston.The Grenadier Company and the Light Infantry Company took part in the skirmishes at Lexington Green and Concord's North Bridge on 19 April 1775. The Battalion Companies were at the relief of the troops on the night of the 19th. During the War of American Independence the 10th Foot took part in the battles of Bunker's Hill and Long Island, plus the Invasion of Manhatten Island and the battles of Germantown and Monmouth. Their last major action of the war was in Rhode Island at the defense of Newport and Quaker Hill in August 1778. The Regiment was drafted on 25 September 1778 the officers , serjeants and drummers arriving back in England in December having been away from home soil since 1730.
The Regiment played a prominent part in the war with Revolutionary France and the Peninsular War. For its services in the campaign against Napoleon in Egypt, it was granted authority to use the Sphinx as its badge.
The territorial connection of the County of Lincoln commenced with an order dated 31 August 1782, in which the 10th Foot was directed to take the county name of the 10th or North Lincolnshire Regiment and be looked upon as attached to that division of the County.
In 1804, Mr. William Pitt devised a scheme for the raising of 31,000 men additional to the establishment of the Regular Army. These men were formed into second battalions for the Regular regiments. Thus the 2nd Battalion of the 10th first came into being at Maldon. The new battalion saw service in the ill-fated Walcheren Expedition and in Sicily, being disbanded in Malta in 1816 on reduction of the Army.
The next active service seen by the 10th was in the Sikh Wars of 1846-49, special distinction being gained for gallantry at the Battle of Sobraon. In 1857 the Indian Mutiny broke out and the 10th was actively engaged in its suppression.
In 1857, owing to the state of affairs in India, the Government decided to augment the Army. Accordingly the 2nd Battalion once again came into existence, its formation being completed in Ireland in 1858. In 1881, the infantry of the Army was organized into Territorial districts, the 1st and 2nd Battalions of each being Line, and the remainder Militia. The old numbers were abolished and each regiment was to bear a Territorial designation corresponding to the locality with which it was connected.
Thus the 10th became The Lincolnshire Regiment.
During the 1930's the 2nd Battalion of the Lincolns was stationed in Palestine acting as peacekeepers while the 1st Battalion had their share of incidents when they were part of the Shanghai International Defence Force. The 1st Battalion was in India and the 2nd in England when WWII broke out. There were four Lincolnshire Battalions during this war from 1939-1945. From Norway and Iceland, to India and Burma, they fought.
The 2nd and 6th Battalions fought in France before battling their way to Dunkirk. The 1st Battalion had a splendid record against the Japanese in Burma. The 6th Battalion fought with distinction in Tunisia and Italy. The 2nd and 4th Battalions fought bravely in the Normandy landings and the subsequent North West European drive to the Rhine.
The Regiment won numerous battle honours during the War but the most prized distinction came in December 1946 when, by Special Army Order, they were notified that King George VI had been graciously pleased to authorize the regiment to be known by the style and title of The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment.
The 1st and 2nd Battalions were merged
in 1948 and the new reconstituted Battalion fought well in Malaya
against the Communist terrorists. Their next posting was Aden
and then Minden. There, in 1960, they learned that they were
to be amalgamated with the Northamptonshires to form the new
1st Battalion The 2nd East Anglian Regiment (Duchess of Gloucester's
Own Royal Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire).
The music playing in the background may sound familiar but not quite the way you remember it. It's Robbie Burns' Auld Lang Syne - in the original version. Written in the 18th century it is played during Colour Presentation Ceremonies. When the new colours are ready to be brought on the field, the old colours are marched off, solemnly, to this version of the song.
and hosted by:
The Cheshire Group, Inc.
, HM Tenth Regiment of Foot, American Contingent